HOME
AN AMAZING LEGACY IN STONE
ANTIETAM CREEK
CONOCOCHEAGUE CREEK
» The Bridge of Price’s Ford
» Broadfording Bridge
» Wilson's Bridge
» The Conococheague Bridge
» The Conococheague Aqueduct

REQUEST A BROCHURE
CONTACT US
C-3 • Wilson’s Bridge | 1819
Route 40, The National Pike, West of Route 63

Wilson’s Bridge was the first of the stone bridges built in Washington County. Its purpose was to carry the state-chartered, privately funded ‘Bank Road’ over Conococheague Creek to join the National Road at Cumberland, providing a pivotal link between the eastern seaport cities and western markets and suppliers. Silas Harry contracted with the county to build this 210-foot. five-arch span at a cost of $12,000. It was considered a “modern marvel” upon completion.
Its design and very fine workmanship served as a model for the 30 more bridges that quickly followed. Today, it is a popular fishing and picnic spot,
with easy accessibility, convenient parking and a boat ramp.

Concept and photos by Katherine Campbell Francomano of DoubleDog Productions. Text by Frank Francomano.

| DESIGNED BY: ICON GRAPHICS |