HOME
AN AMAZING LEGACY IN STONE
ANTIETAM CREEK
» Leitersburg Bridge No. 2
» Old Forge Bridge
» Funkstown Turnpike Bridge
» Funkstown Bridge No. 2
» Claggett’s Mill Race Bridge
» Claggett’s Mill Bridge
» Rose’s Mill Bridge
» Devil’s Backbone Bridge
» Booth’s Mill Bridge
» Roxbury Mills Bridge
» The Hitt Bridge
» Pry’s Mill Bridge
» Felfoot Bridge
» Burnside Bridge
» Antietam Ironworks Bridge
» Antietam Aqueduct
» The Israel Creek Bridge

CONOCOCHEAGUE CREEK
REQUEST A BROCHURE
CONTACT US

A-11 • The Hitt Bridge | 1830
On Keedysville Road, just west of Keedysville

The Hitt Bridge, a graceful three-arch, 105-foot span with a high center arch was built by Silas Harry for John Weaver at a cost of $1,413.66. Samuel Hitt constructed a successful mill at this site, which functioned well into the 20th Century. The site of another ford used by General Braddock in 1755, it was also a key route to The Battle of Antietam known as The Upper Bridge. After the
fighting, nearby houses and barns became makeshift hospitals, treating wounded soldiers from both sides.
 

Concept and photos by Katherine Campbell Francomano of DoubleDog Productions. Text by Frank Francomano.

| DESIGNED BY: ICON GRAPHICS |