HOME
AN AMAZING LEGACY IN STONE
ANTIETAM CREEK
» Leitersburg Bridge No. 2
» Old Forge Bridge
» Funkstown Turnpike Bridge
» Funkstown Bridge No. 2
» Claggett’s Mill Race Bridge
» Claggett’s Mill Bridge
» Rose’s Mill Bridge
» Devil’s Backbone Bridge
» Booth’s Mill Bridge
» Roxbury Mills Bridge
» The Hitt Bridge
» Pry’s Mill Bridge
» Felfoot Bridge
» Burnside Bridge
» Antietam Ironworks Bridge
» Antietam Aqueduct
» The Israel Creek Bridge

CONOCOCHEAGUE CREEK
REQUEST A BROCHURE
CONTACT US

A-8 • Devil’s Backbone Bridge | 1824
Over Little Beaver Creek --On Route 68, just West of Alt Route 40, The Old National Pike

In 1824 the Washington County authorities contracted for no less than four stone bridges. This beautiful span was built by Jabez Kenny. It spans the ford that General Braddock’s redcoats, colonial militia, and their Indian allies used to cross Little Beaver Creek in 1755 during the French and Indian War. The bridge needs substantial maintenance to remain in operation and its future role in the county’s road grid is in question. Plans are under discussion.
 

Concept and photos by Katherine Campbell Francomano of DoubleDog Productions. Text by Frank Francomano.

| DESIGNED BY: ICON GRAPHICS |