HOME
AN AMAZING LEGACY IN STONE
ANTIETAM CREEK
» Leitersburg Bridge No. 2
» Old Forge Bridge
» Funkstown Turnpike Bridge
» Funkstown Bridge No. 2
» Claggett’s Mill Race Bridge
» Claggett’s Mill Bridge
» Rose’s Mill Bridge
» Devil’s Backbone Bridge
» Booth’s Mill Bridge
» Roxbury Mills Bridge
» The Hitt Bridge
» Pry’s Mill Bridge
» Felfoot Bridge
» Burnside Bridge
» Antietam Ironworks Bridge
» Antietam Aqueduct
» The Israel Creek Bridge

CONOCOCHEAGUE CREEK
REQUEST A BROCHURE
CONTACT US

A-15 • Antietam Ironworks
Bridge | 1832
On Harper’s Ferry Road, South of Sharpsburg, off Route 34

Built by John Weaver, this is the only four-arch bridge spanning Antietam Creek. Once this was the area’s largest industrial complex, Frederick Forge and Furnace Works, later known as the Antietam Iron Works, producing pig iron, nails, tools, hinges, farm implements, and all the other iron commodities necessary in the thriving economy of the region. The Civil War battles that swirled around it were not the first on these fields. This was the traditional battleground of the Catawba and Delaware tribes, fighting for domination of the region’s rich resources.
 

Concept and photos by Katherine Campbell Francomano of DoubleDog Productions. Text by Frank Francomano.

| DESIGNED BY: ICON GRAPHICS |